Before you get the keys to your new home, let’s go through the “Keys to Home Ownership.” It’s a good guidebook from Fannie Mae. Let’s pour through the HUD guidelines. And let’s make sure you understand every penny you’ll commit to your loan, taxes, insurance, maintenance and other monthly expenses. They shouldn’t come as a nasty surprise later. In one simple, yet thorough session with your Clarifi certified housing counselor, we'll walk through the steps together to get you home-ready.
Together, we’ll do all this pre-purchase homework:
- Is home ownership even right for you? Let’s discuss the pros and cons before you’re in too deep.
- Ok, it’s right for you. Now for a budget and credit check-up. Let’s make sure you can really afford what you’ll need to borrow.
- Do you have enough cash for a down payment and all the closing costs that seem to come out of nowhere?
- Do you have income you’ll need to make payments? We call this your debt-to-income ratio.
- There are myriad mortgages out there. Also some financial assistance and grant programs. Let’s review.
- Of course we’ll have a look at your credit score. And work to make it even better.
- Ok, let’s say you’re ready for the house keys. Let’s get an action plan together.
- How to negotiate a better price? Let’s review a few key tools, like the all-important home inspection
As far as we’re concerned, we’re not finished until you make closing. So we’ll be with you until you’ve got the key to your new front door in your hand.
Note: There is no fee for PA residents, but there's a $125 fee for New Jersey and Delaware residents.
Pay Online for New Jersey and Delaware Homeownership Counseling